Friday, October 15, 2010

Travelling: Town #1.

they are both at the pier, the water illuminating the night lights. neither talk as they enjoy the breeze and each other's presence. it is the last night they would share and he is prepared to leave forever.

"This whole new life you're living. Is it better than the one you used to have?" she said.

"It used to feel like i was living in a dream. I don't know, everything seemed real... yet it felt as though the world would crumble within seconds," he said.

"You couldn't live naturally."

"Yeah, exactly. One day, I woke up, I thought, 'life isn't suppose to be like this'. This -- living precariously, thinking as though all would end someday. I couldn't take it, not anymore."

"So you left, and since then you've been travelling from town to town."

"I left. I left everything i once had, I left whatever past buried and started afresh -- packed my bags and headed straight for the station. Whatever I couldn't take was gone forever."

"You ended up coming here."

"Yep. I was in a village nearby and the stream sort of led me here."

"Do you regret it? Living this sort of life?"


"Sometimes..." he has gone pensive, "I mean, no -- it's expected to miss the past right? It comes along with letting go. But no, I've never regretted leaving."

"I see what you mean."

by this time the night lights have turned off as the sky begins to glow. she bites her lip.

"Have you ever thought about leaving this place?" he tries talking about her instead, "it is a beautiful place, but i don't think i'd be able to stand living here forever."

"You haven't been able to stand living anywhere for more than a week," she said. 

"True. But you get my point."

the sun has now risen, and both their fates are sealed. they take a moment to absorb the sunrise while she accepts the inevitability.

"It's time," he grabs his knapsack and stands, stretching awkwardly.


he stands rooted to the spot as she gets up. there is nothing left to say as he begins to walk away.


"Hey!" she shouts and runs towards him. "If anything, at least come back once you're done travelling to other towns," abruptly hugging him.


"Ye -- yeah. Sure."


they break apart and he adjusts her hair. he grasps her shoulders and looks her straight in the eye. he spins her away from him and pushes her to walk in the opposite direction. 


"I'll send you stuff! Promise!"he shouts and walks in the other direction.
-Rae


---
Inspiration:


&







No comments:

Post a Comment