Wednesday, May 11, 2011

time to leave and turn to dust




today:

woke up two hours later than i normally would on a school day because i had dental. extra sleep wasn't that great anyway since my body's used to flipping on at 6.20 and i have trouble falling asleep again because of all the heat that's been going around lately. woke up again at 7.30 to text message vibrations. i'm a light sleeper.

ANYWAY,

returning back for a dental review reminds me how time really has flew by. in a year my dentist has graduated from an intern into a full-fledged orthodontist. and i had to learn it the embarrassing way because i happily went to the usual floor (and proudly, since i could remember) only to be told by the attendant that she is now an official ortho-surgeon and she works 2 levels higher. i was reminded of time's fleeting nature again when my dentist exclaimed (yes) that i have changed a lot in terms of my hair, my style and other complimentary remarks which i will not say lest you think me conceited. we chatted (she's quite loquacious) about my life while i was in an awkward position with her hands inside my mouth and thus, unable to reply or interrupt but only agree with 'mmh's while she rambled. the main theme of our conversation was the A' levels. and if there is anything i remember clearly (apart from how much polishing and scaling costs), it is when she stated that my A' levels are this year and she told me to study hard, to which i replied "trying" and receiving a response of "what try? you must. it's everything, at least it is right now."

which sent me further down a spiral of thoughts.

the exams really are everything right now. it will come to define what or even who i become, and will lead to who i will be.
but what about the other important things? what about writing, what about the adage where we should treasure every single moment of our life, or how we should lead our lives as though it ends tomorrow? what about all of these 'values' we've been fervently fed with?
but if you think about it, the exams will determine the extent of our cherishing our lives. if we graduate with success, we have the opportunity to live lives we're always dreaming of; we then don't need to cherish every single moment, or live as though we die tomorrow because we will be living in the moment and we will be leading lives that will let us die without regrets.

you know, this totally wasn't my intention, getting pensive i mean. all i wanted to blog about was my amazing but insipid day with mich where we did nothing but indulge in polaroid-taking. since this post is already dreadfully long (and long-winded), i'll do that another day.
KBYE.

No comments:

Post a Comment